Anja Stella Ólafsdóttir b. 1976
Icelandic/Danish painter & Art Historian
Driven by my own frustrations and curiosity of wanting to know why some kinds of artforms
and art languages are considered "better" and "more right" than others, and what kind of forces these conclusions are based upon and why, I took a formal academic education in
Art History at Aarhus University, Denmark.
What I learned in my 5 years of studying in this field is, that the most important thing
for art languages and artforms to be considered "right" is, that they have to fit into a classification box.
I also learned that my way of working doesn´t.
2014, May. Master of Arts, Art History, Aarhus University, Denmark.
2011, June. Bachelor of Arts, Art History & Aesthetic Communication, Aarhus University, Denmark.
2006, December. Graduated in Fine Arts, Reykjavik Iceland.
"I tell fairy tales with oil paintings. I work with a figurative imagery based on geometric forms. The fairy tales are true to tradition formulated through a symbolic language, mirroring my own development as a human being in an honest and
The intention of my work is to create a brighter and better space to rest in a somewhat dark and chaotic world. It’s an attempt of building bridges between the primitive and the civilized, between nature and industrialization, between fairy tales and rational thought.
My intention is also reflected in the formalist narrative of the paintings, because I place the canvases in a grid formation as a puzzle.
This representation symbolizes a window or a screen between inside and outside – dream and reality.
I focus on being human as part of nature – and nature as part of being human. The paintings are imprints of my own experiences as a sensual human being and a woman in a world filled with contradictions".
20. June - 26. June 2018 "Hic et Nunc", Embassy of Arab Republic of Egypt
via delle Terme di Traiano 13-00184 Rome.
curated by Monica Ferrarini & Arte Borgo Gallery.
15. June 2018 - ...Working, Thinking, Seeing. Gallery Rossocinabro, Rome, Italy.
10. May - 15. May 2018 Chelsea Art, 75 9th Avenue, New York, NY 10011.
curated by G Art Agency of New York, Llc.
21. April - 28. April 2018 Co-Existence 3, Gallery RossoCinabro. Rome, Italy.
curated by Cristina Madini.
5. March - 17. March 2018.THE ARTBOX.PROJECT NEW YORK 1.0. Armory Art Weeks, New York, USA.
13. December - 31 December 2017 THE ORIGINALS ROME. The New York based G. Art Agency, Llc.curated by Joe Hansen & Cristina Madini. Rome, Italy.
6. November - 18. November 2017 THE ORIGINALS NEW YORK, The New York based G. Art Agency, Llc.curated by Joe Hansen. New York, USA.
4. November - 10. November 2017. Mantova International Biennial of Contemporary Art
Francesco Gonzaga Museum, Mantova, Italy.
14. October - 31. October 2017. ARTWORKS CONNECTIONS On the occasion of the the XIII Contemporary AMACI Day, RossoCinabro, Rome, Italy.
4. September - 30. September 2017. September Contemporary
The New York based G. Art Agency, Llc.& RossoCinabro Gallery in Rome, Italy.
21. August - 28. August 2017. AUGUST CONTEMPORARY,Gallery RossoCinabro. Rome, Italy.
3. July - 28. July 2017. 'Contemporary Collected' Gallery RossoCinabro. Rome, Italy.
14. June - 18. June 2017.THE ARTBOX.PROJECT BASEL 1.0.Basel Art Week.
EuroAirport Basel/Mulhouse/Freiburg, France.
15. May - 31. May 2017. Group Exhibition 'Contemporary looks' in Gallery RossoCinabro. Rome, Italy.
16. March - 16. April 2017. Group Exhibition in Gallery RossoCinabro. Rome, Italy.
10. - 28. February 2017. 'On Life' Gallery RossoCinabro. Rome, Italy.
15. - 31. December 2016. ROME CONTEMPORARY, Via Raffaele Cadorna 28, Rome, Italy.
10. - 15. December 2016. TOKYO CONTEMPORARY,curated by Joe Hansen. Tokyo-Bay, Japan.
30. November - 4. December 2016.THE ARTBOX.PROJECT MIAMI 1.0. Spectrum-Miami, Miami Beach, U.S.A.
15. October - 30. October 2016.'Composite Identity' On the occasion of the the XII Contemporary AMACI Day, RossoCinabro, Rome, Italy.
2. September 2016. European Art Museum: permanent collection. Frederiksværk, Danmark.
22. August - 25. August 2016. "August Contemporary Tokyo".Curated by Joe Hansen G. Art Agency, Llc. Tokyo-Bay, Japan.
8. 12. August 2016. "August Contemporary New York". G. Art Agency, Llc.
Group Exhibition 11W 42end street, Manhattan, New York, U.S.A.
2. August – 1. October 2016. Gallery RossoCinabro. Rome, Italy.
3. June – 24. June 2016. Kurgan Regional Art Museum. ”Calculation”. Siberia, Russia.
9. June – 12. June 2016. ”Triennale dell ́ARTE contemporanea”. Verona, Italy.
2. April – 30 April 2016. Godsbanen, Center for cultural production Aarhus, Denmark.
28. November - 10. December 2015. ”Little Treasures 2015”, Galleria De Marchi, Bologna, Italy.
14. - 15. November 2015. EuropArtfair, Nationaal Kunstplatform B.V. "Contemporary Art from contemporary Europe". Rotterdam, Holland.
8. November 2015. “Artist for Unicef” Palermo, Italy.
20. July – 7. September 2015. ArtMindGallery, Aarhus, Denmark.
6. - 12. February 2015. ”Art for children with cancer”, Odense City Hall, Denmark.
8. -18. January 2015. Solo exhibition: “Nature Fairy tales” Galleri 8240, Aarhus, Denmark.
1. August - 1. September 2014. “11th Annual Color: Bold/Subtle Juried International Art Exhibition”, Upstream People Gallery, Omaha, U.S.A.
19. August – 2. September 2006. Duo exhibition: ”Paintings & Ceramics” Reykjavik, Iceland.
December 2006. Graduation exhibition, Galleri Tugt, Reykjavik, Island.
2016 Visual consultant: Aarhus School of Music´s cross-aesthetic project: Message
in a bottle - for Aarhus Cultural Capital 2017 http://flaskeposter.dk/medskabere/
2015 Visual artist: Mói-Kidz.com Icelandic organic children clothing brand.
I made a situation analysis of the brand and created new prints for their spring/summer & fall/winter collection.
4. November 2017. International Prize Andrea Mantegna, at the Social Theatre of MANTOVA, Italy
2. September 2016. European Art Museum medal, Frederiksværk, Denmark.
11. December 2015. Premio Internazionale, Artist at the Castle, Nerola, Rome, Italy.
10. December 2015. International Prize Michelangelo
- Artists at the Jubilee,Vatican, Rome, Italy.
1. August 2014. My artwork: Wishes(2011)was awarded a prize in Omaha, Nebraska,U.S.A. by curator, professor in fine arts at Nebraska University, Larry Bradshaw.
October/November 2017 Publication in "Art International Contemporary Magazine" for the award ceremony in Mantova International Prize Andrea Mantegna. (1 page)
Fall 2016. Publication in “Italian International Catalog of Contemporary Art: Tribute to Rembrandt”. (2 pages)
September 2016. Publication in the European Art Museum book. (1 page)
November/December 2015. Publication in Italian art magazine “Effetto Arte” for the December award ceremony in Rome. (1 page)
October/November 2015. Publication in Italian art magazine “Effetto Arte” for the event: Artist for Unicef. My artwork “Full Moon 2015 200 cm x 150 cm” is discussed and referred to in the magazine. (1 page)
23. June 2015. Publication in N.Y. censured art book: “International Contemporary Artists volume X” by ICA Publishing, N.Y. U.S.A. (2 pages)